If husband is beating wife, even neighbor can ask Police to register 498A Case- Landmark SC Judgement.


Though SC did not say so in open words, this is the meaning of this judgement.

This is a landmark judgement by Supreme Court.

Now even a neighbor can file complaint to police that Husband living in next house is beating his wife.

Common perception is such that only “Wife” can file complaint of 498A IPC.

But no.

Supreme Court says that if any police officer finds that you are ill treating your wife, then without permission of your wife, even police officer can file complaint under 498A of IPC and can punish you through court.

Moral: Don’t ill-treat wife. Adjust with her. Respect and fear her.

If you want to read more details, it is in Supreme Court judgement dated 23/3/2012 Ushaben versus Kishorbhai. It is also reported in 2012 (3) Scale page 594

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s